Friday, April 30, 2010

Rumble, Rumble, Boom.

It's official:  we're nice people.  The new neighbors told us so. 

"You're so sweet!"

Well, really, we're not sweet at all.  We have been impatiently waiting for 25 years for the property next door to step up to the plate and deal with the shoreline issues.  After we had put the equivalent of a university education ($$$$$) into our property's protection, storm after storm cut away the bank next door and eventually began working in behind our stonework.  Fences tumbled, gabions shifted, sink holes developed.  Groan.  Now, at long last, new neighbors.  New outlook.  New money!!

That's one BIG shovel.


Here's a rumbly part.


Do you think these things ever tip over?


They dug a road down the bank to the shoreline, and have a cat at the top and one at the bottom.


First row is temporary to prevent soil pollution.  Here they are digging in a second row of permanent armor stone, with filter cloth behind it to prevent loss of land.

Yes, it's noisy, dirty and all of that, but it is a very good thing which we welcome with open arms.  We're sweet that way.

10 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I like the new neighbors! For your sake!

Unknown said...

WOW Finally! Can't wait to see it when we come to visit!

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

Isn't it nice when things come together. I am praying for new neighbors myself so we can get rid of ugly falling down fence and tall and dead trees along the property line. Not a pretty view from our bedrooms.

MollyinMinn said...

Fascinating process! You'll have to share the finished product!

Veronica Lee said...

Can't wait to see the end result too.

Hi Rosemary, you asked if the meat tastes like coconut in the rendang recipe I posted. It doesn't. Alternatively, you can substitute the coconut milk with evaporated milk though it doesn't taste just as good. I use fresh coconut milk in the recipe. Let me know if yours turn out well.

Have a blessed weekend.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Wow! Amazing! Congratulations on getting GOOD shoreline neighbours.

I read the blog stuff you sent Mum. It is SO GOOD!! you are an amazing writer, Rosemary. I'm so proud of you. I, however, have never figured out how to get from one page to another in the REAL blog so I just read what is sent to Mum. You've done an excellent job on your blog. Next time you're here, teach me how to work the thing!

Call to talk tomorrow. I miss you.

Love Heather

Boomer Pie. said...

Hopefully you'll like them AFTER they move in! I signed up to follow your entertaining blog. Stop by my place and see some midwest spring scenery.
http://www.boomerpie.com/

Family-Friendly Product Reviews said...

Happy belated FF!

I'm your newest follower! If you get a chance, please follow me too at http://www.mommylivingthelifeofriley.com

Have a great day!

Kelly L said...

You are sweet.. I do have to say that I could never work on those things.. I am deathly afraid of heights.. it looks like it's a long way down..

Love to you
Kelly
http://www.ivebecomemymother.com

Anonymous said...

lol, love the photos. Visuals help.