Friday, August 20, 2010

Going Buggy

First it was caterpillars...big, fat, juicy ones.
Then it was skunk encounters, squirrels, possums, raccoons and now...
Praying Mantis.

I never knew there was such a dizzying array of wild life available for inspection right here in our own back yard.  Maybe I could charge admission.

Let me introduce Lucy, the Lady Praying Mantis. 




Some people would call her a "Walking Stick" or a "Grasshopper" but she is not one of those.  She is related to termites and cockroaches and there are 8 different sub-classes in her own species.  Some praying mantis are big enough to eat lizards, frogs, birds, snakes, fish and even rodents.   The one we see here specializes in insects, although she is prone to cannibalizing her mates.  Lucy makes for good biological pest control in organic gardens. 



Her grasping, spiked forelegs catch and securely hold her prey.  Her articulated head can swivel 300 degrees, giving her a very large range of vision.  With her large compound eyes, which have binocular vision, she doesn't miss much. 


Is this the praying stance, or is she asking us to dance?

Well, it's Friday and If you are over 40, you may have landed here on a blog hop follow.  Welcome, and I hope you come again.  If you are a "Regular Customer", this will be my last post for about a week.  Tomorrow, at long last, we head off on our belated vacation to Maine.  When we get there, we lock the doors at night, keep the dog inside and pretend the bears and cougars can't get in.  Mice and chipmunks are one thing, but great big bears and cougars would give me pause. 

Here's hoping the last days of summer are good to you.  I'll be back......




10 comments:

SquirrelQueen said...

She is a beauty, great shots. When she is in the praying stance she is hunting. I have watched them catch and eat yellow jackets. I will have to post a photo of my "pet" mantis from last summer, her children are all over my yard right now.

Have a great vacation!

Unknown said...

beautiful shots!

enjoy maine!

Gerry's Soap N Stuff said...

Great photography. ♥ it, Gerry

Far Above Rubies said...

Love the pictures. I didn't realize Praying Mantis were related to roaches. Thanks for all the info. I really enjoyed reading it.

I finally got a chance to pass by and say hello. I appreciate the comment you left me today at Far Above Rubies. Thank you!!

Matty said...

It's true. The old saying that you learn something new every day. A praying mantis that can eat things THAT large? Who knew.

When I was a kid, my parents told me that it was illegal to kill a praying mantis. I always wondered about that, and how a police officer would even know if you did. Hmmmmmm.

Anyway, enjoy your trip. What part of Maine do you visit?

Anonymous said...

I love Lucy, hahaha, oh ahem.

Pat Tillett said...

Great photos and narrative!

Mary said...

Ewww...I didn't know they were related to cockroaches...now I'm really creeped out!

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Well, I guess a gal has to stick up for herself and eat and all. When I was a teacher we had a pair of Grebils in the classroom. They had babies and then one day the mom at the dad. I later learned that she was pregnant again and had to eat the dad to make room for more kids. Now that's some special education right there!

Pat Tillett said...

Great photos!

I always find it a bit unnerving when they seem to move their head around to watch you move...
I think they are aliens...