Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Washday

Whoever designated Monday as Washday, did the world a favour. 

Is there anything better than crawling in between freshly laundered sheets at the end of the day?  All the rigors of life on Monday melt away as your head settles on the sweet smelling pillowcase and your toes wiggle in bliss across the smooth surface of the newly-made bed.

How fondly I remember the feeling of satisfaction I would get each week, as I tucked the kiddos, straight from their nightly bath into their Monday beds.  It somehow felt like order amid the chaos of life, peaceful moments at the end of a busy day--the way things were supposed to be. 

Doing laundry in the midst of reno mess is not at all satisfying.  It is more like an exercise in futility, as I unsuccessfully try to keep the wet towels and socks from hitting the dusty floors before they make it to the dryer.  The special Egyptian cotton sheets have to be maneuvered between dusty, plastic drapes to get upstairs to the drying wracks.  No shrinking dryer heat for them.  By the time they make it to the mattress, there are more than enough streaks of dust and lint on them, but still, they smell great.

You know you've done a good thing, dusty or not, when the light is off and Husband sleepily says,
-mmmm....nice bed,
as he drifts off to Never-never Land.




7 comments:

Tiffany said...

I hate doing laundry. I own too much stuff so there isn't ever enough room to put everything away. I have a laundry basket for of 2 weeks of clean white socks for my kids that I refused to match and put away. Hmmmm, "boys I have something for you to do...."

Peace, Love and Chocolate
Tiffany

Jamie said...

Great post :-) memories ..

Liz Mays said...

It's absolutely true that there is a real difference in clean sheets and how they feel. Love that!

Unknown said...

I LOVE slipping in between fresh linens! How much longer on your reno project?

Anonymous said...

MOnday is wash day, oops. That's where I've been going wrong. mmm clean sheets.

Pat Tillett said...

In your nautical world, I thought a sheet was a rope?

Pat Tillett said...

oops! That's a sailboat I think...
yeah, fresh sheets always feel nice!