Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Rock a'bye Baby

It began shortly after midnight. Our gently rocking bed began to rock and roll. It was as if a perverse older brother started violently rocking little sister’s toy cradle to see how much it would take to toss Dolly out of her comfy nest among the blankets.

This Dolly, for one, was not impressed.

The winds at 18 knots were blowing from the Southwest. As the tide ebbed in the opposite direction, the waves began to build. Wavelettes, once lapping our hull, grew in size and began slapping and then punching us mid-ships, giving Captain and Crew a rude awakening.

Being a Doll with a reversible stomach (one pays extra for this model) I immediately took solace in the drug of choice: Gravol 50 mg. p.o.

-How quickly does it take effect, my friend Lesley once asked?

-Never. Quickly. Enough.

-Isn’t that the truth, was her voice of experience.

All was battened down securely, the precious Grandchildren photos tucked safely between cushions to avoid them smashing to the floor, shattering the glass and frames. There was nothing left to do but to wait it out for the next few hours. Even bolstered with pillows, I was rolling side to side on the bed.

YAWS! Sidewise motion always gets the weak stomach.

-Let’s switch. Let‘s lay sidewise on the bed and get forward motion.

PITCH instead of YAWS.

-This is sooooooo much better, exclaimed the Captain.

And with that, he fell soundly asleep. If this were a cross-word puzzle, the answer to that clue would be:

Snoring.

Ah, the joys of the conjugal bed.

Eventually, the drugs and change of position took effect, giving the desired result of sleep. We woke to a glorious morning in Big Majors Spot, gentle wavelettes, clear and sunny skies over the anchorage. With a forecast of heavy weather coming, squalls and gusts to 50 knots, Steadfast pulled up anchor and made way to safe harbor in Compass Cay.

How about you? Do you have a strong stomach and a stalwart inner ear that keeps you on an even keel? Or are you more like me, green around the gills, rushing madly for the rail when things get a little topsy turvey?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't even take a Ferry ride without prepping with some Dramamine. I think I turned green just reading about those waves. ;)

Pat Tillett said...

I'm one of the lucky ones who never seems to get sea sick. Of course, I'm sure I just jinxed that...

Manzanita said...

I guess I don't get sick. Years ago I crossed the Atlantic in a big ship and we hit what they said was the worst storm they'd been in. Everyone was sick, even crew.... Piles of vomit all over. It was a mess. But I didn't get sick. When we lived in Florida my husband had a fairly large party boat but in 10 years I was never on it once. but some people even got sick on that. (I hear tell). Since I call it a party boat maybe it was just from partying too much. Ha

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

The snoring in the conjugal bed....I know it well. Keeps me up many nights.

I used to be fine with any kind of movement, but older I get I've been noticing that my stomach can't handle much. I noticed that last September in Disneyland. Even some kiddie rides make me sick.

Velvet Over Steel said...

Your discription was very Vivid!! It almost made go get some 'motion' sickness meds from the cabinet. So does that answer your question?! Yes, I would be running to the railing! lol

Wow, your writing was outstanding!! Sorry you actually had to live through this adventure though!

Hugs,
Coreen xoxo

Unknown said...

My tummy is tough! Well...except in pregnancy!

~sigh~

Karen said...

What an interesting writer you are, Rosemary. Wanna come to Lake Erie on a rough day and cross the lake to Erie, Pennsylvania - or tranverse Lake Michigan - that is what your memoires instantly reminded me of - never again for this fairweather boater! I thoroughly enjoy your tales - keep up the good work as I journey with you, as an armchair boater.

Veronica Lee said...

I never used to get seasick when I was younger but these days I don't do very well on a rocky boat or a drive on a winding road.