Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cockles and Mussles, Alive, Alive O


While Grands #1 and #2 inspected the tidal pools at "Sand Beach",  Sami Joe and I picked mussels.  Some of us used sticks and others used our bare hands to lift up curtains of seaweed, uncovering the blue beauties in their hiding spots. 

We wrestled them free from their tenacious moorings and carted them home.


One never knows for sure if these things are truly safe to eat and so I called the wife of the fisherman down the road.
-Marie, is there Red Tide here this year?  Is it safe to eat the mussels we picked today at Sand Beach?

-Go ahead, Dear.  You'll be fine.  No Red Tide here!

Scrubbed under running water, spiced up with sliced onions and garlic, they were semi-submerged in plain water and set to steam til cooked.

Next came the melted butter and white wine bath......and to the table.


Are you drooling yet?
You will remember from previous posts that Hubby is less than adventurous at meal time.  Likewise our grown son.  Grand #1 takes on enough adventure for all concerned and gallantly downed a plateful of yummy.



 I am LOVING the fresh-from-the-ocean meals we are having here---too delicious!  How about you...do you like seafood, or are you a surf and turf type?  Maybe, like my daughter, you tend towards the vegetarian diet and avoid fishie dishes at all costs.  This post is making me hungry.  Is it almost dinner time?





6 comments:

Liz Mays said...

You sure cooked up plenty! I don't do fishy things of any kind, but I can imagine how good they must have been, especially since they were so fresh!

Manzanita said...

That is a mighty scrumptous looking kettle. Thanks you for the compliment on my post but you are the youngest looking sailor I've seen yet!

Anonymous said...

Awesome survey, I love your post.

Japanese Zojirushi Bread Machine zojirushibreadmachine.com

Unknown said...

Such fun! Yummy too!

Veronica Lee said...

OMG! I AM drooling! I love shellfish of any kind!!

Pat Tillett said...

Yes, I'm drooling!
I'd settle for a cup of the broth right now...