Tuesday, February 23, 2010

O Canada!

While I put my garden to bed in late fall, I recite the little rhyme: 
No flowers, no leaves, no birds, NOVEMBER.

After Christmas I start grimly singing my dubious favorite winter jingle.  The lyrics by Gilles Vigneault in 1964 say it all: 
"Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays, c'est l'hiver"
(My country isn't a country, it's winter.) 

photo courtesy of Gerry Walker

As you well know from the theme of this blogspot, I prefer to escape winter and hang out where it's warm and sunny for those early months of the year.  Life's expectations called me back from denial and I have spent the past three weeks facing the realities of being Canadian.  What perfect timing! 

The newest grandson smiled and laughed for me.

The almost 4 years old granddaughter took us skiing. (Wasn't it just yesterday we were teaching her Daddy to ski?)

Canada's sweethearts won gold in Ice Dancing for the very first time.  A long over-due affirmation for the talent and hard work of previous deserving athletes.

I really wanted the red jersey, but at $149.00, I gave it a pass.

At another time, in a land far away, I would have missed these joys.  Thank you, Canada, my home and native land, for these special gifts
Post a Comment