Monday, February 15, 2010

Totally Virgin

As a little tyke, my hair bobbed in white-blond curls. Mummy cut my bangs so short, they were almost not even there. By the time I was a teenager and could fight off my mother-brandishing-scissors, my locks were ash-blond with natural highlights in summer. In nursing school, I began secretely enhancing the blond with lemon juice and a heat lamp and when that didn't really work, the drugstore stuff. Those first grey hairs, at age 19!!!, were plucked out indignantly. By the time I was having children, I was full on into Lady Clairol. The summer my hair turned carrotty orange, it was time to consult the professionals and the rest, as they say,is history.

This fall I decided to bite the bullet and committ/go cold turkey/go au naturale, even cutting my hair all by myself. Again, it became obvious, I needed professional help (psychiatry anyone?)  Adrianna the hair stylist said, when she gave me this pixie cut, that I am now "totally virgin"...no artificial hair colour left.  Buz actually lets me out in public now, so I guess it's not all bad.

Who knew? Underneath all those years and years of hair dye, there was a quavery-voiced version of Ann Murray all along.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mum you are Beautiful! Looks good.

Unknown said...

Chrissy, you are my greatest fan. Thank you so much. How was the party? I called but no one was home. Did Darren stay over?