Saturday, September 11, 2010

And Now for Something Completely Different: Philosophy 101


Life putt-putts along in regular rhythm as I mindlessly move from day to day, following routines of laundry, marketing, dog care and household tasks.  Recent movie outings, and exploits trapping wild urban animals have given me reason to pause and think.  I am now considering the multifaceted layers of my personal existence.  Is there more going on than meets the eye of the casual observer, more than can be seen and heard, or even more than all my human senses can apprehend?

Ninety-nine percent of the time, I move thru my days dealing with the here and now in 3D.  I react to what I see, hear and touch and never think about what else exists, never mind what else could be occurring in different realms.  Is this total reality, or an illusion of what is real?

It is easy to forget about earthquakes in Haiti or floods in Pakistan when I am not experiencing it first hand.  It surprises me to realize there are wild critters cavorting around my back yard in the dark while I snuggle under my cozy duvet, blissfully unaware of them.  That people sitting beside me on the bus are sick with worry over their personal dilemmas, financial issues or health problems doesn't reach out and slap me across the face.

The Matrix and Inception:  movies that explore themes of alternate realities push the viewer to question:
What is real?
What is true?
What is illusion?

How facile to self absorb, to remain purposefully unaffected by what cries out to be acknowledged.  The facts are undeniable.  There is more.  The here bleeds into thereNow becomes diffused with eternity.  What is seen is a mere reflection of all that exists invisibly.

A body, soul and spirit, I was created to live fully in 3 realms, not just one or two.  It takes an acute awareness and even some discipline to remember that and to live it out day by day.  By the Grace of God and the power of His Holy Spirit, I am endeavouring to live my life with a view to what counts for eternity.



 Do you sometimes feel there should be more to life?  Does your time here on earth seem to be slipping away into nothingness?  Or, are you full to the brim with life here and now, looking forward with joyous expectation to the future and beyond? 

Is there a difference?  What do you say?

8 comments:

Pat Tillett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pat Tillett said...

I think life is what we make it. I've had a very long and tough road getting here, but I'm now about as happy as I have any right to be! I expect good things to happen to me and they do...

What a fantastic post! Beautifully written also!
thanks...

Matty said...

Very introspective for sure. It's easy to not notice the problems all around us and around the world when they don't directly impact us. Only when something directly affects our lives do we tend to take notice.

Our lives can be more or less, thrilling or boring, full or empty. It all depends on us. We have the ability to make it what we want. It's all in our attitude. Life is 10% what happens and 90% how we react to it.

Go make your own day.

SquirrelQueen said...

Very interesting thoughts. There was a time when what happened in other parts of the world were just news that never seemed quite real. Now that I have blogging friends around the world those events have a different meaning. A typhoon in the Philippines now seems more real because I know people there.

You mentions creatures cavorting in the backyard, we recently got a trail camera and put it on our patio. We had no idea our backyard was so busy at night!

Far Above Rubies said...

You said something that rang true with me:

"A body, soul and spirit, I was created to live fully in 3 realms, not just one or two. It takes an acute awareness and even some discipline to remember that and to live it out day by day..."

We live in a spiritual realm as well as physical. For this reason, we need to be aware and alert of the things and people around us. How we serve others and live our lives is crucial in advancing God's kingdom.

Thank you so much for this post.

Anonymous said...

Like most people at sometime in their lives, I've always questioned and wondered what reality really is - which is why the movie the Matrix was so powerful. It's like we're all walking around with amnesia wondering why and what we're doing here, what's the purpose of life, and why is it we're only using a small part of our brains. Savants let's us knwo what our real potential is. Maybe it'll be answered in 2012 is that pans out like ancient seers have claimed. I'm waitin'. Great blog...gets us thinking.

Anonymous said...

I tend to live in the moment get excited about the future and rarely pull up a seat to sit in the past.

Unknown said...

I've been working on leaving the past where it belongs. I remind myself sometimes that I need to do more here and now--moment to moment. I need people like you to remind me that life is what I make it. :) Great post.