Thursday, September 2, 2010

Getting Ready for Cold Feet Weather


Knitting sox has always been one of my fav things to wile away the hours.  My most favorite part is "turning the heel".  It is quite a satisfying feeling to manipulate four needles in my hands at once, knitting in the round."  When I discovered this amazing book last May, it was a must
have,  no question!

The pattern book shown here is an older one. Mine has 60+ winning designs.  The Knitters' Magazine held a contest for new sock patterns, offering thousands of dollars for prizes.  Almost 300 people from all over the world sent in their creations and the result is this book.
Of course, it was the picture on the cover that caught my eye. 

Poring over this book in bed for three nights in a row, I began to have second thoughts.
 

This looks really hard!

Finally, I decided to knit the pattern by Nancy Hazen from Kirkland, Wahington, not the pattern for the multicouloured prisms that I so admired.  I figured that if I could manage Nancy's, my ultimate goal would be in reach.  It was a good decision.  First I made a pair for my daughter.  It went so well, was so much fun, and was a hit with every knitter I introduced the pattern to, that I made a second pair for myself.

Piece of Cake!

Done totally in garter stitch, knit completely flat until the toe, heel and cuff are needed, the hardest part is picking up stitches and decreasing. 

First, you start with one little square.





Gradually, you build on one square at a time.




 I really enjoyed showing people the work in progress and having them try to guess what it was.  Nobody could figure it out.  Even when I told them it was a sock, they would shake their heads in disbelief.  You really have to "Think Outside the Sox" to wrap your head around it. 





Voila!  The finished product.  A very handsome pair of sox, if I do say so myself.

How about you?  Do you knit?  Do you do sox? 
What are your favorite projects?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

wow those are quite the sox!

good job!

Jamie said...

OMG how awesome are these!!? I want a pair and can't knit to save my life.. but.. my daughter can.
Thanks for giving her an idea for my Christmas present, Steadfast!

Veronica Lee said...

I did! I used to love knitting before the boys were born - a time when I had this thing called attention span!

Love those sox. Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful socks ! You have more talent with knitting than I do.I don't do anything harder than slippers, toilet paper covers and mittens, but I do love those socks !

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Those sox are awesome! The only thing I know how to knit is a scarf. People finally started begging me to stop giving them scarves! I'm on to sox now, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Okay, you're a genius - that is just amazing! I do knit but I do prayer shawls and other square or rectangle projects. That book's cover makes me long to know how to do a heel of a sox, since I know how to do the tube, as well as do complicated patterns. I tried to learn how to knit the heal from youtube - just couldn't do. But you've inspired me so who knows? It's now on my to "learn" list. Thanks for posting this - it's something to be proud of. Good for you!

Haupi

Pat Tillett said...

I will admit to wearing sox, nothing more...

Candace said...

I love those socks!! Ok, now maybe I can pick up the knitting needles that my mother in law gave me this summer and try my hand at knitting again. She so patiently tried to teach me and I got it all messed up. You have a wonderful blog over here. I've been reading some of your posts and will be back to read more after shopping. I found your blog through Follow Friday and I'm your newest follower on your journey. I look forward to getting to know you.

Have a great weekend,
Candace

Anonymous said...

Wow, those socks look divine.