Friday, October 1, 2010

O, Ye of Little Brain

Dust Control--the eternal quest while in reno mode. 

It is an illusive ideal, one that springs perpetually to mind as I watch boot tracks thicken across the tile floors despite constant sweeping and damp mopping.  Every time a simple item is moved from repose on a flat surface, like a token left on a window sill, there remains a shining spot of cleanliness to remind me of my failure to stem the tide of encroaching filth.  Still, one does what one can....


At the foot of the stairs leading to the bedrooms.  We can't be sneezing all night while trying for a rejuvenating sleep.


Between the now non-existent kitchen and our camping dining room.


Protecting the plants in the porch, but hoping they can still breathe in there.



And then there is the added challenge of pets, animals with very small heads--ergo--very small brains. 

 Dog just stands on one side of the plastic sheeting and barks for what he wants.  Barks and barks and barks and barks and barks and....like I said, a VERY LITTLE BRAINCat on the other hand, is extremely focused on his needs and will try various different ways to achieve his ends.  First, he sits and pleads pathetically for help.  When that ploy is totally ignored, he then attempts to peel back the plastic taped to the wall.  Some success is immediately met with swift retribution on my part.  Okay then, he begins to scratch and claw at the plastic.  I increase the volume of my rants and what do you think he does next?

He takes a running leap, plunges head first into the plastic barrier and comes tumbling through the other side to his, and my total astonishment.  Notice the many blue tapes at cat level in this next photograph.


As we fight the good fight here at home, construction proceeds apace next door.  Walls are going  up now giving us a foretaste of just how immense the sky-blotting structure is going to be.  For over 25 years we have lived next door to a green field.  Now, NEIGHBOURS just 10 feet from my kitchen window. 

The saying goes, the first sign of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again despite the lack of desired results.  Either I am going insane, or my little brain has to come up with a new way of dealing with this encroachment on my perceived space.  Wailing about it is not making it go away. 

For those of us with little brains, embracing change is difficult. 

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there! I am new follower. Very great blog you have!! Have a wonderful weekend!
Alissia
Tips 4 Green

Menopausal New Mom said...

Oh I feel your pain! We renovated three floors of an old home that was built in 1891, what a job! And I know you have pets, I did it while my daughter was between 6 and 10 months old! It was dreadful, not just living through the reno but the bills!! And forget about trying to keep it clean. My main concern was keeping my home a kid friendly zone. I still remember turning my back for less than a minute only to find that one of the workmen had put down his box cutter on the floor within 2 feet where my daughter was crawling.

Unknown said...

Oh my...i laughed and laughed and laughed at those 'cat level' pieces of tape. Hilarious!

JenH said...

Hello!
I'm a new follower from Friendly Friday Follow. I would love it if you could stop by my blog as well! I hope you have a great Friday!
http://mrsgoldilocks.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Haha, ya do what ya can :)
I'm your newest follower from Friday Blog Hops. Looking forward to reading more. Mine is http://www.nestingwithniall.blogspot.com. Hope you'll stop by :)

Unknown said...

Oh I would miss my view too! I love the blue tape where the cat has had his way with the plastic! lol

Let'sMakeADifference said...

I'm a new follower! Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!!

Veronica Lee said...

Have fun at the dinner, Rosemary and don't forget to post the pics. I can't wait to see you in the feather head dress.

Matty said...

A renovation is no easy task, and not to be taken lightly. I don't envy you. Over here, we have a few small brains too.

Pat Tillett said...

And that is why I'm a cat person!
I feel your pain, we've renovated a couple of houses in the past and just finshed sanding our wooden floors. The dust always amazes me. It will go where it wants to go and there is no stopping it.
great and funny post Rosemary!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks horrendous. Hang in there lovely lady.