Sunday, July 29, 2012

Rainy Days and Sundays Always....

What do you do when it rains for days on end?  
What do you do when it rains for days and days and you are at the cottage?
What do you do when it rains and you don't have kids anymore to you take outside in any weather, just for distraction?

Well, there's the computer, the television, books, cookies and cider, jigsaw puzzles, solitaire, popcorn and the movies.  None of those things is keeping me terribly enthralled.  

Ta Da!
I'm quilting up a storm, all by myself.

This machine belonged to my friend Lesley, who lost her battle with breast cancer two summers ago.  As  things come together, one piece at a time, Lesley and I have been having a lovely-rainy-day chat.  She keeps telling me to get out on my bike and ignore the weather.

Do you hear the driving shuttle of the sewing machine, the hiss and spit of the steam iron, the clap and snap of a shaken out yardage?
It's storming in here!

This king-size quilt top has to be finished to a point where I can transport it by Wednesday.  Right now, it is a cazillion pieces, organized by colour and design, laying on the bed.


There's another two days of drips in the forecast.
I know what I'll be doing with myself--how about you?

7 comments:

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

You are one talented quilter! I'm afraid I don't have the patience for it although I've tried. With my rainy days, I write. Unfortunately we don't get many of them here in So. California so I have to go to Ireland. Oh well, someone has to do it! Happy Sunday and Blessings, Tia

Jamie said...

If there's one thing on my bucket list it's to make a quilt. They are things of beauty and yours in no exception. :-)

Unknown said...

that's beautiful! I also inherited a sewing machine from my mother. Now that we have a house, it might get some use......

Tami said...

I lost my best friend to Lukemia, but she and I still have the occasional chat. It's wonderful that you have your friend's machine and can still connect.

The quilt is beautiful!

Pat Tillett said...

Sorry about your friend. That is terrible.
You are really good at quilting. I'm WAY too ADD, to even attempt to do something that painstakingly intricate. Rain? Haven't seen any in quite a while out here on the left coast.

Anonymous said...

Wow, all your photos are just soooo amazing and quilts have a very special place in my heart. I grew up with my mother making us log cabins.

Walter Parsons said...

Hi great rreading your post