Monday, March 29, 2010

I Saw It! I Saw It!

It's been 9 years of watching, doubting, speculating and hoping. 

Watching sunset after sunset. 

Doubting that a Green Flash is even a real thing. 

Speculating Old Salts made up this cruising myth to amuse newbie sailors. 

Hoping to actually see one for myself.

This winter, I actually saw two Green Flashes with my very own eyes.  Yes.  It is real.  I even looked it up online, and sure enough, there's huge documentation, with pictures, videos.  You can now add my testimonial to the literature.

A Green Flash is an optical phenomena that occurs shortly before or after sunrise or sunset.  A refraction of light in the atmosphere, it can be a spot, a ray, or a flash of green light that lasts no longer than one or two seconds.  You have to be focused to catch it--no chit chat, no turning away, no interuptions.  (These could be reasons why it has taken me so long to succeed in catching sight of one for myself.  You know how I hate to sit still and stop talking.)

Check. It. Out.


Going...



Going.....



Ta Da. 

It's really there.

  Supposedly it is even visible from the windows of an airplane.  All you need is a view of an unobstructed horizon on a clear day. 

So, you cruising buddies, have you see it yet?

What about you land-lubbers?  Has anyone seen this phenomena over land?

2 comments:

Veronica Lee said...

WOW!!!! How awesome!!
The pics are fantastic!! I might have seen it in Tanah Lot, Bali. We were there all evening just to catch a glimpse of the sunset that lasted only a few seconds.

Unknown said...

I still do not believe you!
Maybe i'll just have to go back....